1. Who can apply to the SLGTI?
We are open to all citizens of the country. SLGTI is national in character, anyone from any part of Sri Lanka can apply and study at SLGTI. We encourage people in the North and East affected by the 30-year armed conflict in Sri Lanka to apply including the disabled, war widows and members of female-headed households.
2. Where will the institute be situated?
The Sri Lanka – German Training Institute is based in AriviyalNagar, Kilinochchi – in the Northern Province of Sri Lanka.
3. When will the intake start?
The second intake of SLGTI will be in September 2017. Please check out the SLGTI website in spring 2017.
4. Who is eligible for admission to the programmes?
All those who have passed their GCE O-Level exams OR their GCE A-Level exams OR have obtained a National Vocational Qualifications (NVQ) Level 3 certificate (at least) in their chosen field of study.
5. What are the fields of study at SLGTI?
The fields of study offered at the SLGTI are the following:
- Automotive & Agricultural Technology
- Construction Technology
- Electrical & Electronic Technology
- Food Technology
- Information and Communications Technology
- Mechanical Technology
6. What is the duration of each programme?
The duration of the training courses will vary according to the course structure of each programme.
7. How much will each course cost?
The training programmes are offered free of charge.
8. I have questions about my classes.
If you have questions about what is covered in your class, talk to the lecturer. If you have concerns about why you are registered in a particular course, talk to Student Affairs/Registrar.
9. When do classes start?
Classes are starting on 8.30 am (Monday to Friday) – until 4.15 pm.
Lunch break is from 12.15 pm to 1 pm.
10. Will the On-the-Job Training (OJT) be provided after theory has been taught?
Yes, we are committed to arranging suitable placements for our vocational trainees at recognised organisations in relevant fields in both the government and private sectors of the country.
11. Do I have to attend the orientation sessions?
All incoming students are required to attend the orientation sessions.
12. Will there be accommodation provided?
SLGTI is providing accommodation for up to 144 students on site. There are separate accommodation facilities for women and men. Besides this, there are possibilities to find accommodation in the City of Kilinochchi.
13. What are my chances of being employed if I successfully complete my training?
After successful completion of your training, you have a very good chance of being absorbed into the workforce of a recognised company in your selected area of expertise either at the place where you received your On-The-Job Training (OJT) or in an organisation of similar standing.
14. What are the reasons to choose SLGTI for training?
Theory and practice: You don’t just learn in a classroom, you apply the skills you’ve learned in real world situations.
Job prospects: Vocational Training subjects are demand-driven based on the market’s need for skilled persons so you are almost certainly guaranteed a job upon completion of your studies either in the state or private sector. It can even pave way for foreign employment.
Entrepreneurial opportunities: With the knowledge and skills you gain, you can start your own business.
Efficient and timely: You can further your education and knowledge without wasting time and money.
Opportunity to work with private sector companies: which will qualify you in a manner that ensures your employment – nationally or internationally.
15. Do I qualify to attend SLGTI?
- Students with NVQ level 3 or level 4 certificate in the respective field of study
- Students with G.C.E (O/L) qualifications – 6 pass
- Students with G.C.E (A/L) qualifications – 3 pass
16. How do I get to SLGTI?
The Sri Lanka-German Training Institute (SLGTI) is easily accessible via Public Bus transport A9 and the train station at Kilinochchi. The campus is located at AriviyalNagar, Kilinochchi, Sri Lanka
17. Is transportation provided? Is parking available?
SLGTI doesn’t provide transportation to the compound. Most students arrive by Public Bus – SLGTI students are paying a reduced transportation fee (Jaffna-Kilinochchi or Vavuniya-Kilinochchi). Limited parking is available near academic buildings.
18. Need more information?
For more information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org